+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super special street car

garage door problem. almost closes then bounces up and opens

My garage door is a ra-tard and needs help. It gets all the way to the bottom then gets skeered and goes back up. I called it an but that didn't do anything Does this point to a spring adjustment issue? It is a 2 car door with a single spring setup. And is this something that can be adjusted myself?
    3580lb rwt and can legally seat 5 people!
    Cant help but laugh at all the trailered "street cars" out there. What a JOKE.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator ThirdgenTa's Avatar Donating Member

Does the light blink on the opener? First check the photo eyes and make sure they are both lit up properly. If they are, the door could be closing too far and it automatically reverses. Try backing off the down travel on the opener a hair. Before you do that you can check the balance of the door by picking it up and letting it go halfway. It should stay where it is at. It should also not take any force to lift. Do that and get back to us. Myself, badazzbeatbird and a few others are qualified garage techs and can point you in the right direction

Just a little stang. GMKILLER50's Avatar
    Perfect solution.

5 gallons of Gas + 1 match!!!!!! JackPOT!!!!!!!!!
    Gmkiller50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Fan of Blow BBC in Shit Boxes that need spots from everyone.

There's that adjustment for down travel like stated above.

It's trying to close too far...So it hits the ground, tries to go further, and thinks it's squishing a kid or something and goes back up. It should be a little flat-head screw(potentiometer) on the back of the opener.

In the winter if any ice forms where my garage door comes into contact with the ground it will do what you decribed.
    "Like syclones and typhoons I represent from midnight to high-noon" -Gza

Senior Member Ascapri's Avatar Donating Member

They like to do that when there is snow/ice in the way

Ice/Snow on the track or the track is out of whack. I just turned my "safety" up all the way. Now it goes down regardless of what is in the way.

Super special street car
    I have the eyes facing each other about a foot apart on the ceiling (fuck code) so thats not the problem.

It doesnt go down all the way before it comes back up. The door "bounces" while on its way down and must put too much pressure on the opener so it reverses. I have the opener on its highest strength setting too. Sometimes it will get through it, other times it wont. Im going to take a video of this POS and post it on here when I get home. Stay tuned.

Super Moderator ThirdgenTa's Avatar Donating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fillys6 View Post
    I have the eyes facing each other about a foot apart on the ceiling (fuck code) so thats not the problem.

It doesnt go down all the way before it comes back up. The door "bounces" while on its way down and must put too much pressure on the opener so it reverses. I have the opener on its highest strength setting too. Sometimes it will get through it, other times it wont. Im going to take a video of this POS and post it on here when I get home. Stay tuned.

Did you test the balance like I said?

It's the cold weather and the owners a fag. You won't be able to do shit except for put it too manual until it warms up.
    Bagged and Ragged

I own my own junkyard, its in my backyard! Donating Member

user error................................... sound like the door is rubbing on the trim and causing it to do that 630 217 9839 i can come out tomorrow
    Last edited by BadAzzBeatBird; 12-17-2010 at 11:43 PM.

i can come out now if the price is rite

Banned
    filly take the eyes off and just use jumpers. and set your sensor for the open and shut. very easy.

if you just jump the wires it wont fix the problem the logic board needs to see a resistance to "trick" it into thinking the eyes are lined up or their

btw i believe its a federal safety law to have the eyes working proper if someones kid gets killed by your door hope they don't have a good attorney
    Last edited by BadAzzBeatBird; 12-17-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Super special street car
    ThirdgenTa - Yes, I tried the balance trick. The door will stay half way when I move it by hand. It opens very easily, I can push it up with one finger and it glides smoothly.

Jucin - The cold weather has nothing to do with this my garage is heated you fucking HOMO so STFU!!

Its not trying to close to far. I adjusted the down travel closing point to a point that is a few inches above the ground to be sure. If I guide the door down past the "bounce" point it goes as far as it should and stops.

There is nothing around or under the door causing this. The track and trim are all free of debris. None of the wheels are "out of whack" either. The door glides very freely by hand. My place was built in 2007 and everything is practically brand new.

Heres the video. I think it has something to do with the springs putting to much resistance on the door when it gets 90% of the way down:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTyxUG4VF4I