+ Reply to Thread

1992 dodge dakota rough idle when warm

I have a 92 dakota work beater truck. Has 250k and runs strong as ever. When it warms up it spits sputters and pops. I have eliminated several thing the cat,spark plugs/wires,egr. I dont know what else it could be. Idles fine its just when i hit the gas it does this. Also sometimes dies when i stop abruptly. If anyone could throw out some ideals that would be gr8. I dont think its a electrical problem because it only does it when the truck warms up. Its also is getting worse as the time goes by.

TPS? I know in my old TBI chevy it had similar symptoms and thats what it was...I dont know shit about mopar though.
    If people are going to hate you for no reason....Give the Mother Fuckers a reason to hate you

What engine? V6 or V8? Could be a mass air, TPS, vac leak, injector stuck open, CPS could do it too. I know in the magnum V8's there is a crank trigger on the flywheel. They are known to have problems like that as the engine heats up and the metals expand at different rates, it moves away from the magnets in the flywheel. Or it moves slightly out of time. They have some decent books out there on mopar magnum engines if you have the 318 or 360.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman19851985 View Post
    Idles fine its just when i hit the gas it does this. Also sometimes dies when i stop abruptly.
    Does it idle rough & hesitate?

Quote Originally Posted by Raw900RR View Post
    What engine? V6 or V8? Could be a mass air
    Mopar= speed density those years.
    Checked fuel pressure?
    Tried to get codes out of it?
    You can get them by turning the key on /off 3 times with in 5 seconds without cranking it.
    Then it will flash them thru the check engine light like a GM.