+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member Gs C6's Avatar Donating Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Roosevelet/Halsted-Chitown
    Posts
    4,240

    Post Seafoam engine treatment Vs Marvel Mystery Oil

    They appear to do the same thing....

    Seafoam is almost double the Cost of Marvel Mystery Oil.

    I gotta do a couple oil changes this weekend and was gonna use one of the other to flush out/remove gunk from engine

    Which one do you use and why?



    "I sin...but I'm not the devil. I'm good...but I'm no angel."



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    skybox
    Posts
    309
    I put a quart of trans fluid in run the motor for 5-10min then drain. trans fluid has detergent in it and cleans out all the gunk. I've been doing it for yrs on my silverado and that has 250,000 + miles on it and runs like a dream. My buddy is a fan of sea foam, he says it works pretty good.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,948
    cheaper yet and just as good kerosene or automatic trans fluid ( older dextron II or ford F type ) , just use 1 quart in the crankcase ( I ussualay tap off some before I add and slap on a new cheap oil filter so the old one don't bypass) and do NOT put a load on the motor while doing it just let it idle for 5 minutes and drain ( let it drain for 15 minutes ) and then pour a quart of oil in the crankcase to fluch out any left overs , then refill and change filter , but one thing when you flush a motor you might open up some clearances from removing the varnish that build up in spots . and if you changed your oil regularly ( or used a synthetic ) you do not have to worry about flushig it .( using a true synthetic will clean the motor in 2-3 oil changes as it has more detergent in it and less ash than a regular oil )

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    skybox
    Posts
    309
    Stimpy I figured you would know about that. OLD SCHOOL TRICK.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,571
    seafoam is like 6 bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy66 View Post
    but it was more fun than standing in line for a pair of shoes !!!

  6. #6
    Traction fail. Voice of Reason's Avatar Donating Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crystal Lake
    Posts
    21,482
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy claxton View Post
    Stimpy I figured you would know about that. OLD SCHOOL TRICK.
    He probably knows how to clean carbon from combustion chambers, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyosteve View Post
    If jesus christ had a car I would drag that mother fucker.Get paid and then ask for forgiveness...........
    Never Forget Fallen Comrades:

    Tito B...
    Big Gym 80GP/91RS...
    Family Sedan...
    Woody (Big WOO)...
    Turbo Cliff...

    Thanks for the memories, guys.

  7. #7
    User Extraordinaire BBBSS's Avatar Donating Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    2,147,487,378
    I love sea foam. Shits like magic in the right circumstances.


    Quote Originally Posted by DaTurboSix™ View Post
    Dude, take a fuckin xanax before you give yourself a pink sock.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Black§ View Post
    I love sea foam. Shits like magic in the right circumstances.
    I love the stuff too its packaged for the company in Milwaukee and I used to get it cheap ( buying seconds ) , its a napathatic based oil ( waxy or pale oil ) with napatha and isopropanol in it . ( I used to deliver the napatha ) I used it to clean and seat the injectors in my rigs as it won't eat the pintles out in the injector units like straight napatha . it makes little smoke compaired to trans fluid or hydrauilc oil

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    He probably knows how to clean carbon from combustion chambers, too.
    which way ?? theres 2 actually , one for cats one without , with cats its windshield wiper wash in a spray bottle spay the mist into the intake while running the motor at 1500-2000 rpm , and it must be a mist , the water will turn to steam and blow the carbon off the pistons and exhaust ports . the other way is to feed the motor some gas mixed with type f or D2 tranny fluid( a 4:1 mixture gas to oil ) about 2 quarts is all you need, same engine speeds . it will do 2 things clean the carbon out and kill mosqitoes and the pesky neighbor kid with ahsma , you cannot use the second method with cat convertors it will burn them up and your neighbors might call the fire dept on you too . in either case no load on the motor till the process is done . I let the motor idle a while after doing it to make sure the stuff is out . after the decarbon process is done , take it for a romp on a get on ramp to try to blow any loose shit out .

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy66 View Post
    which way ?? theres 2 actually , one for cats one without , with cats its windshield wiper wash in a spray bottle spay the mist into the intake while running the motor at 1500-2000 rpm , and it must be a mist , the water will turn to steam and blow the carbon off the pistons and exhaust ports . the other way is to feed the motor some gas mixed with type f or D2 tranny fluid( a 4:1 mixture gas to oil ) about 2 quarts is all you need, same engine speeds . it will do 2 things clean the carbon out and kill mosqitoes and the pesky neighbor kid with ahsma , you cannot use the second method with cat convertors it will burn them up and your neighbors might call the fire dept on you too . in either case no load on the motor till the process is done . I let the motor idle a while after doing it to make sure the stuff is out . after the decarbon process is done , take it for a romp on a get on ramp to try to blow any loose shit out .
    yes...but can you tune the idle in my car via efilive. lets see if gramps uncanny abilities transfers over to the 21st century!
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy66 View Post
    but it was more fun than standing in line for a pair of shoes !!!

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,948
    don't underestimate yourself , I am doing a lot of reading in my time off and FI systems is one thing I am learning about .. got some books from Greg Banish .. now let me ask you do you know how to set the flow for a barrel valve ??

  12. #12
    Senior Member Gobabyvroommm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Big things poppin...
    Posts
    2,412
    When i had my 00 firebird formula! We couldn't figure out why that mother fucker was running 14.0 at 100mph. Maybe about 5 days later friends wanted to Byron. I said fuck it i'm going to Sea Foam it cause we were at the shop anyway. Keep in mind i've only had this car for 2 months now and it had 98k on it. First day at the track i ran 17.6 when i bought it, it couldn't shift out of first. Anyway I sea foamed it friday we went to the track Saturday and ran at 13.147 at 108 with a 1.96 60ft...........

    Car mods:
    Full exhaust, mac hookers L/Ts
    Families tune
    16" tires/stock
    Sea Foam <Lol>
    A4

    We were like NO FUCKING AWAY! I'm not bullshitting that is all we did! My friends were like..........."most have been a lot of build up." After that i Sea Foam every car i buy.
    Motherfucker's always trying to ice skate up hill!

    R.I.P. Family Sedan
    98 SGM WS6 Formula.....Mine
    06 STI............... Wifes!!!

  13. #13
    User Extraordinaire BBBSS's Avatar Donating Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    2,147,487,378
    You can tell when you use it on a dirty or clean motor. Dirty motor smokes like mad, clean motors barely smoke from sea foam from my experience.

    This stuff ok to put through my Cummins? How would I best get it in all cylinders?


    Quote Originally Posted by DaTurboSix™ View Post
    Dude, take a fuckin xanax before you give yourself a pink sock.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,948
    just run a fuel injection cleaner made for a diesel . we put it in the tank and draw it thru the whole system you have to be carefull as the product can errode your pintles in the injectors and it will cause them to leak or have to be replaced .

  15. #15
    Senior Member sinnful_46534's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where the cows moo and the corn grows.
    Posts
    1,745
    LUCAS fuel addititive FTW

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts