+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator ThirdgenTa's Avatar Donating Member

4 month old german shepherd needs home

Basically the story goes;

My friends, co workers sons little daughters saw 2 german shepherds playing in their yard. She opened the front door and they walked right in. They called animal control, police departments, searched all of the lost pet websites and nobody reported them missing. They even scanned for a chip and no luck. They were wandering outside I am guessing for probably a few days or even a week. They were full of burrs, dirty and a little bit underweight. Since then they have had a nice bath and food.

Since nobody has even made an attempt to claim them they are looking to place this one in a home. The neighbor is taking the other one, but they have never owned a german shepherd before so they are taking it as a trial.

Some of the information that we are pretty sure about this one is that judging by it's ears and it's weight it is about 4 months old. It's a female, not fixed. By the colors and the stance it is definately purebred and it's got the show dog stance.

She seems to have a pretty good tempermant. I took her to the German Shepherd club yesterday and had her around 20+ dogs and she seemed excited to greet them and she also liked attention from people. She's a really good looking dog.

She does have an eye defect though. Her eyelid didn't develop correctly at birth and it droops. We thought it got caught on something when they were roaming free, but they took it to a vet and it just hangs a little low. It has hair growing next to it. If you trim it I am sure it will look a lot better. The vet says it does not affect her vision at all and it CAN be fixed with surgery, but I am not sure how much it costs.

If you would like this dog PLEASE make sure you have experience with this breed of dog and have the time for it. Do your research. They can be a lot of work, especially for the first few years. I would just hate to see it go from home to home. If we don't find a home for it, a lady at the german shepherd club owns a german shepherd rescue and would find a home for it.

If you are interested I can give out an email or phone number.

Shes located in Aurora.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Any idea how she is with cats and small dogs?
    Rev'd Up Motorsports
    Dekalb IL
    815-748-7933

Motorcycle Performance and Dyno Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by prplcbr View Post
    Any idea how she is with cats and small dogs?
    Hmm not exactly sure. Right now she is around a bunch of young children and another large dog. German Shepherds are usually pretty high prey drive dogs and love to chase. I know people that have german shepherds and cats and usually the dog just chases the cats around the house, cat claws at dog and dog runs away lol. We had her around all sorts of dogs at the german shepherd club and she barked at some at first but when she was near them, she licked them.
    Also most german shepherds like to be dominant so if your little guy thinks he runs the household and then you bring the german shepherd in, there might be a problem.
    Have you owned a shepherd before? They are great dogs, but require a lot of dedication.

Usually with smaller dogs/animals they need to be raised with them, so I am unsure if 4 months is already too old or not.

Yes, I am very familiar with the breed. I have had sheperds all my life. (well my parents have) They just lost their shepherd last summer and are thinking its about time for another dog. Ours have always been very young when we got them so we socialize them earlier. Our last one got along great with the rabbit! 4 months may be to old to start with small animals, it's hard to say not knowing her background. Just thought I would ask in case you knew. Thanks! and Good Luck she is a cutie!
    Rev'd Up Motorsports
    Dekalb IL
    815-748-7933

Motorcycle Performance and Dyno Tuning

Soulless Ginger Moddess BttlScrs00x's Avatar Donating Member

I'm not saying its not possible but even a dog when raised with cats or small dogs might still develop the high prey drive. IMO, shepherds are not to be left unsupervised with small dogs or cats because let's face it, a swat from a cat isn't going to hold a candle to driven shepherd that wants the cat and wants it now. Point being, vigilance is needed with any prey driven dog when being kept with other pets, especially ones that can be seen as prey. Also, I would discourage chasing. Chasing can often times trigger the prey drive and then it's no longer a cat-dog game. It becomes a game of survival, literally.
    You can't fix stupid, but you can sure as hell beat it with a rusty pipe.
    It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place,
    no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. --Thomas Jefferson

Ughh.. Hate to say this but it didn't work out with the sister going to the neighbors house. Turns out the guy is severly allergic to it. So now they are both are looking for a home. I will try and get pics of the sis. I will also be taking her to the German shepherd club in Hanover Park on Sunday morning if you would like to see her.
    A lot of people would love to have a german shepherd like this.. Everyone I have talked to has expressed interest, but it's bad timing for them. These dogs are so sweet and adorable and get compliments everywhere they go.
    If you meet these dogs you will fall in love with them.

as far as prey drive with a cat in the house, your gonna have to be very careful and responsible. My corso has been around my girlfriends cat since she was 3months, she's now 1 year and she doesnt all out attach her, but the minute the cat walks in the room her attention goes from whatever she is doing to the cat, and sometimes she gets too riled up and we do have to keep them seperate.

ThirdgenTa my father is looking for one i will pass this along to him.

dog

Call me , I live in streamwood. I have 2 German sheps ( boy/ girl ) and I've been raised around German sheps.630-308-8831 gene....
    Last edited by BLK GT; 09-13-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: adding phone #
    R.I.P TITO.B

I will have one of the puppies at the German Shepherd club in Hanover Park tonight from 7-8:30 if anyone is interested

shepard

Call me ...630-308-8831 gene
    R.I.P TITO.B

Well the sister has been adopted but the original gsd remains.... When I posted that the sister was available on other message boards I got bombarded with PMS and they only wanted the sister. Didn't even give the poor little girl with hair in it's eye a chance. She may end up going to a shelter eventually since nobody wants her. I had her at the german shepherd club today, put her in puppy class and played with her for a few hours and she was a lot of fun.

Gene- I texted you last week but not sure if you got it. If you are still interested I can pass on the info.

Call me , I never got the text...630-308-8831 Gene . I wana come check her out.
    R.I.P TITO.B

Gene, called you but you didn't return the call.
    Taking her in for surgery on Monday to get her eye fixed. The people who had her pawned her off on us and I can't keep her with another GSD in the house. I wish I could cause she is a super chill dog who just likes to cuddle and play.

Soulless Ginger Moddess BttlScrs00x's Avatar Donating Member

Do you have any updates on her? How did her surgery go?
    You can't fix stupid, but you can sure as hell beat it with a rusty pipe.
    It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place,
    no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. --Thomas Jefferson